Monday 20 October 2008

3rd Year Design















I have been working on two briefs over the last two weeks, the first of which is Upcay/Decay, which asks that the final outcome challenges the perceptions of decay. I liked the idea of decay as the invasion of a host, and through uncontrolled growth. The most destructive example of this being cancer. I looked into this by making some prints of tumours, using the same method of decay through invasion to ‘invade’ the paper, using materials such as bleach.

I also researched scabs, and how they are formed. I used a similar process to this by creating a base of oil paint, and removing the top layer using turps.

I got a bit sick of these after a while. They are pretty simple, and lacking in concept. It has been suggested to me that the shape of the print is not important, and hat is infact most interesting is the actual act of decay, which I have stifled through controlling the prints too much, which is why I hope to move away from making prints, and perhaps continue this project through research, I may begin to look at decay that is inherent in, and caused by society, as a side project.

The second brief was called ‘Physical Identity’ It asks the designer to create a record detailing interesting elements of the human face. This is one of the briefs I wrote myself, I am particularly interested in this area because I think the face can represent, and be represented, in many different ways.

I was interested in using the human face to explore how easily information can now be accessed, based only on the individuals face and name. I was also interested in researching facial recognition, and codifying faces in different ways. I think the richest area to look into came from some research I did into look-a-likes.

I believe that it is the way each look-a-like presents themselves that leads you to think they are famous. I conducted various small-scale surveys within my class, these all showed that separate features are often recognisable alone, especially if that part of the face is particularly distinguishable. I also found that personalised features often stand out the most, this is what makes the individual most recognisable.
From this I have come to the conclusion that the face is obsolete.

I have since been thinking about the idea that a look-a-like may have to take on someone else’s appearance to do their job, they may even have to replace their own identity. I started to look into transplanting identity, and how this could be a hindrance or a help to personal development. I have been looking at the work of Cindy Sherman as a starting point for this. (If anyone else has any other suggestions they would be very useful)

I have also become interested in the various effects that modern society has on the individual, for example the way that the media can make a person feel inadequate, or the way a busy city induces anger. I think my next step will be to look into how the human face and body can be used as a tool to investigate this.

No comments: